For people who have struggled with obesity, the frustration and embarrassment of never reaching a healthy weight can feel unbearable. Some people may have lost weight in the past, but found the results were only temporary, quickly regaining the pounds lost – and ultimately becoming even heavier in the process.
If you have tried losing weight in traditional ways – through diet, exercise or medications – but found these methods unsuccessful, then getting the lap band may be the best option for you to permanently rid yourself of that excess weight. The first step in considering the LAP-BAND® is knowing the requirements for getting the LAP-BAND to see if you qualify for the procedure.
LAP-BAND® BMI CALCULATOR
FDA requirements for getting the LAP-BAND are:
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 40, or
- You have a BMI of at least 35 with a weight-related health condition, such as high blood pressure (hypertension), type 2 diabetes or sleep apnea.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You are in general good health and are not overweight as a result of an underlying medical condition.
- You are ready to make a serious decision to change your lifestyle and will be committed to tackling the rigors of the pre-operative nutritional program.
While the list above may give you a general idea if the LAP-BAND is right for you, every patient’s situation is unique. The best way to find out if you are a good candidate for the lap band is to talk to one of our qualified bariatric surgeons. The surgeon will gather clinical data about you, such as your weight, blood pressure and blood glucose levels in order to evaluate whether, or not, getting the LAP-BAND may be right for you. The surgeon will also ask you questions about your lifestyle and diet, what expectations you have about having a LAP-BAND surgery and what your weight loss goals are after getting the procedure.
The more you know, the better you will feel when you make your decision about whether the LAP-BAND is right for you. Take a moment to write down all of your questions and make a list of all of your concerns. Any and all of these questions and concerns may be asked by calling us by phone at 855-690-0560, or during a free and informative consultation with one of our highly qualified LAP-BAND surgeons.
Questions To Discuss With A Bariatric Surgeon To Better Understand If The LAP-BAND Procedure Is Right For You.
- Your Individual Requirements For Getting The LAP-BAND.
- The Qualifications Of The Bariatric Surgeon.
- The Specific Details Of The LAP-BAND Procedure.
- How Invasive Is The LAP-BAND Surgery?
- Will Insurance Cover The LAP-BAND Surgery?
- What Is The Cost For The LAP-BAND Surgery?
- What Other Surgery Options Are Available For You?
- What Is Your Risk And Benefit Profile For Surgery?
- What LAP-BAND Results Does The Surgeon Expect You To Have?
- How Long Is The Recovery From The LAP-BAND Procedure?
Additionally, it is very important to know what your surgeon’s qualifications are, how many LAP-BAND procedures they have performed and what other surgeries they specialize in. All of the surgeons at MIS Centers are recognized by the makers of The LAP-BAND® for the outstanding quality of their LAP-BAND surgeries and their unwavering commitment and relationships to their patients both before, and after the surgery. Choosing the wrong surgeon could be a terrible mistake. Rest assured that the Lap-Band surgeons at all of our MIS Centers are experienced, certified, well-informed and sensitive to each patient’s individual needs.
To further discuss the requirements for getting the LAP-BAND, or to answer any of your LAP-BAND questions, comments, or concerns, please don’t hesitate to give one of our LAP-BAND surgeons a call at 855-690-0560. We are happy to help and look forward to hearing from you!